GCP: Friday Night Hangout - Goodbye 2022! ~ Tacoma Light Trail
January 4th, 2023
1 hr 34 mins 57 secs
About this Episode
On this special episode, Justin first converses with Cheryl Rux, local artist and art coordinator from the Tacoma Light Trail. The Tacoma Light Trail is a free walkable/driveable trail of light art in downtown Tacoma. Their mission is to use light art to bring light to dark times, to lift up diverse voices and bring the community together through things we all share – truth, hope, justice, peace – symbolized by light. They have events going from Dec. 31st – Jan. 19th. For more information, visit their website: https://www.tacomalighttrail.org/
During the second part of the podcast, the guys chat about New Year's Eve plans, Scott Topics, Is It Tacoma, and their plans for 2023.
00:00 – The group starts the podcast by discussing their New Year resolutions, Justin talks to Cheryl Rux, and Cheryl talks about how Light Art Tacoma came to be. She talks about the benefits of light art, the live events happening this week, and what they’re planning for next year. She talks about the candle-lit maze, Justin talks about being a part of one of the performances, and the astonishing Lelavision performance.
22:45 – Justin gives a shout-out to local libraries, Cheryl talks about the regrowth of venues in the community post-Covid, and Justin talks about the casserole feast happening on New Year's Eve. He talks about people being able to listen to them live, Jeff’s recent technology issues, and chats about the upcoming Puget Sound Plunge on Jan 1st. Derek joins the conversation, Justin talks about recent events in his area, and Scott shares his appreciation for the podcast.
47:33 – Justin talks about the pizza he’s going to be ordering for the New Years' celebration, poses the question on if they need a drink of the night, and the group discusses their favorite drinking games. Justin reflects on a time he and Brogan played drunk Monolopy at a past Norwescon, Derek talks about when he stopped playing drinking games, and Justin shares his one 2023 resolution.
72:30 – The group discusses the article Scott shared for the Scott Topics, Justin poses questions on the guy that dresses as a dog, and dives into their favorite game, Is It Tacoma. He reads off each of the headlines, each of the guys guesses which article they think is actually from Tacoma, and Justin reveals which one is the luck winner. They talk about the recent snow that hit Buffalo, New York, discuss plans for 2023, and Justin gives a shout-out to people who were listening live.Support The Grit City Podcast
- About – TACOMA LIGHT TRAIL — The Tacoma Light Trail uses light art to bring light to dark times, to lift up diverse voices and bring the community together through things we all share – truth, hope, justice, peace – symbolized by light.
- Performance – TACOMA LIGHT TRAIL
- Tacoma Light Trail | Facebook — A free winter light art festival in downtown Tacoma.
- Husband and Strife - YouTube
- About HusbandAndStrife - Twitch — HubbDex and Str(w)ife tend to spend most weekends playing games together. Now they look to entertain you with co-op games, trash talking competitive games, and more in a way that only a couple married gamers could.
- Wolf Suit [Custom-made for personal order] | Zeppet — We created a wolf suit for a personal order.
- Animal Masks for “Parallel World Comedy: The Planet of the Except Apes / The Planet of the Except Apes Ⅱ” | Zeppet — BLAST created animal masks for “Parallel World Comedy: The Planet of the Except Apes” broadcasted on NHK BS Premium.
- Man spends $15K on collie costume to live as dog — A Japanese man is going viral after spending more than $15,000 on a hyperrealistic costume, so he could fulfill his lifelong dream — of becoming a dog.
- Footprints in snow lead police to man who drove through fence in stolen van – KIRO 7 News Seattle — Footprints in the snow led police officers to a man accused of driving through a fence at a SODO business in a stolen van.
- Police searching for suspects who backed car into Tacoma smoke and beer shop | KIMA — Police are searching for suspects who backed a car into a business in Tacoma on Tuesday morning.
- Homeless woman in Pittsburgh scooped up by heavy equipment machine during clean-up – KIRO 7 News Seattle — A homeless person in Pittsburgh living in a tent was inadvertently scooped up by a heavy equipment machine that was cleaning the area.