In this episode, the crew talks to Isaac Pennoyer, council member number eight, from SENCo. SENCo, (South End Neighborhood Council) is an all-volunteer organization dedicated to advocating for the South End by connecting the community to City services & each other. People are invited to join SENCo meetings happening Mondays at 7 PM.
00:04 – Justin and Jeff kick off the episode by giving thanks to Scott for the amazing energy he brings to the team, Isaac gives his opinion on if he considers a high five a compliment, and Isaac shares what SENCo covers in addition to what they are about. He talks about the grants the company receives allowing them to uplift from the ground level, being at the forefront of neighborhood councils, and how people can get involved.
18:02 – Isaac talks about getting involved in SENCo, the amazing work Next Chapter does for the Tacoma community, and shares where people's voice matters most in terms of local government. Justin gives a shout-out to the Union Club, the paranormal activity there, and Isaac explains where Tacoma’s mega-warehouse is going to be.
36:24 – Isaac talks about the impact on traffic the warehouse will have on the area, , extra insane drivers in Tacoma, and what people can do if they want to voice against the warehouse. He talks about the rally and community cleanup happening on August 20th, the Tacoma Climate Leadership Cohort, and the resources in the area for people to take advantage of.
55:16 – Scott talks about real-estate cycles, how the interest rate will drive down the cost of houses, and Isaac talks about the systemic problems of homelessness. Jeff talks about the growth of Kazakhstan, Isaac talks about what he wants most for Tacoma, and Justin shares the reason why he voted for the Civil Service Member in this year's election.
Thank you, Isaac, for sharing your story and the amazing work you do in the community!Support The Grit City Podcast
- South End Neighborhood Council – Working Together to Make the South End Better!
- Tacoma SENCo Group | Facebook
- South End Neighborhood Council (@senco_tacoma) • Instagram — A Community Driven, Neighbor-led organization to make the South End amazing!
- Celebrating the South End Neighborhood Council's Transformative Project in Tacoma's South End
- The Grit City Podcast: Streetball Supe
- Next Chapter Pregnant Single Mothers Children Homeless Pierce County Tacoma — Empowering the women in our community and their children to thrive.
- Here are details of upcoming Tacoma warehouse appeals hearing | Tacoma News Tribune — A mega-warehouse proposed in South Tacoma will be the subject of a multi-day development appeal with the city’s hearing examiner starting Tuesday.
- Tacoma Climate Leadership Cohort — Tacoma Tree Foundation — The Climate Leadership Cohort is a program organized by Tacoma Tree Foundation on behalf of the City of Tacoma Office of Environmental Policy and Sustainability.
- Get Involved with Trees - City of Tacoma — Plant free trees in your right-of-way by participating in the Grit City Trees Program. Work with your neighbors to submit a Group Application, and the City will deliver the free trees to a designated nearby spot in your neighborhood.
- Community Invited to ‘Picture Pac Ave’ - City of Tacoma — The City of Tacoma is partnering with the community to create “Picture Pac Ave” – a long-term vision and plan for growth and development along Pacific Avenue from approximately I-5 to South 96th Street.
- Kazakhstan’s Economy Grows 5% in First Half of 2023 - The Astana Times — The growth of Kazakhstan’s economy reached 5 % in the first half of this year, with a 4. 8% increase in the real sector and 4.9 % – in the service sector, Ranking.kz reported on Aug. 9