Angela Jossy, the Duchess of Downtown Tacoma, and her friend Voxxy join the guys on this episode. Angela is the new owner of the local Tacoma newspaper Weekly Volcano. They plan to release the first paper this coming October.
00:16 – Justin reflects on the recent golfing trip, Angela talks about her return to organizing Art on the Ave this year, and how special this year was for the event. Scott shares his love of watching bar comedy, Justin talks about GCP being the guy's garage band, and Angela talks about her book project. Justin shares the history of the Union Club, how amazing Wright Park is now, and Angela explains what got her started as the Duchess of Downtown.
16:08 – Justin talks about the hidden treasures of Tacoma, Voxxy talks about reviving the Volcano, and Scott expresses his love of The Porch Fest. Angela talks about her evolution with the paper, plans to bring back the art bus, and getting started with the paper. She talks about her journey post her job there, what lead to her buying the paper, and the low number of females that own papers.
30:25 – Voxxy talks about helping Angela make the decision to buy the paper, Angela talks about when the first print will be released, and Justin expresses his love of Tacoma. Angela talks about retrieving newspaper digital archives, plans to turn them over to the library, and the summer camp she’s having for businesses.
46:01 – Voxxy shares that she’ll be playing at the Spanish Ballroom, they talk about other great venues in the area, and Angela talks about the magic behind soundwaves. They talk about the amazing scenes that were lost due to Covid, Justin talks about the new places on 6th Ave, and Angela shares how people that are interested can help out.
Thanks Angela and Voxxy for joining the crew to share the exciting news about the return of the Weekly Volcano!Support The Grit City Podcast
- Wright Park - Metro Parks Tacoma — Wright Park is ideal for a leisurely stroll or taking your kids to the playground or sprayground. This 27 acre arboretum is home to a rich collection of more than 600 trees.
- Tacoma ART BUS | Tacoma WA | Facebook — Tour Tacoma's art scene with ART BUS. Tour runs 4 times per year and starts downtown Tacoma in the N
- Weekly Volcano on Facebook
- Angela Jossy (@duchessofdowntown) • Instagram — RE investing, Airbnb, travel, community, event planning, drawing pets, music, art, financial independence and inspiring others.
- Weekly Volcano (@weekly_volcano) • Instagram — Arts, Entertainment, Food & Culture in the South Sound. News and Calendar of events!
- Weekly Volcano - Wikipedia — Weekly Volcano is a weekly entertainment newspaper in based in Tacoma, Washington, United States.
- Weekly Volcano — Welcome BACK to the Weekly Volcano.
- SUMMER CAMP — Weekly Volcano — Tacoma’s small business community is cordially invited to an exclusive summer camp experience tailored for adults. Nestled in Gig Harbor, Camp Seymour boasts amenities such as heated cabins, boating, swimming, archery, wall climbing, and more.