GCP: DC253 - Tacoma's DEF CON Group Returns!
February 8th, 2023
1 hr 16 mins 18 secs
About this Episode
This time Cody and Michaela from DC253 sit down to give an update since Cody was last on! DC253 is Tacoma's area DEF CON Group. DC253 is a gathering point for folks interested in the alternate applications of modern technology, referred to properly as hacking. They meet the last Friday of the month at Devils Reef. Cody is also involved with the Tacoma Fire Buff Battalion, and they are also part of a new 501-(c)(3), Port 22: South Sound Hackers.
00:00 – The episode kicks off with Justin considering throwing Is It Tacoma into the conversation, welcomes back Cody to the podcast, and Justin talks about how he discovered the DC253 group. Justin reflects on getting a Gin 101, Cody explains what happens at the hacker meetings, and Michaela talks about how she found a missing child during the DEF CON Trace Labs event that had been missing for six months.
19:01 – Michaela explains how she likes to keep her electronic footprint very minimal, Cody gives security recommendations for people selling their houses, and they talk about the types of cold calling/visit sales that come after buying a new home. They talk about social media recently assisting in finding the guy that tried to kidnap a barista, and Cody discusses another story of how police found a suspect by googling a phrase in their shirt.
36:30 – Cody talks about an event where a bullet went through their window, the interrogation bus that deployed the bomb robot, and another barricade they heard go down. Cody explains how the Tacoma Fire Buff Battalion he volunteers for supports the firefighters and victims of events that happen in the community, doing anything they can to help, including ensuring dogs have water, and how long the group has been around.
53:18 – Justin jumps into Is It Tacoma, introduces the contestants, and reads each of the articles. The crew guesses which one they think is from Tacoma, Justin announces the win around the table, and they talk about how easy it is to steal a Hyundai. Justin shares where the other articles are from and ] feeding goats in the Tacoma area.
Thanks Cody and Michaela, for joining the conversation; looking forward to the next time you stop in!Support The Grit City Podcast
- WorldToor — A select group of the top computer security specialists in the world will be embarking on one of the most extreme adventures ever conceived — The worlds first ever hacker conference in Antarctica.
- Trace Labs — Trace Labs is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to accelerate the family reunification of missing persons while training members in the tradecraft of open source intelligence (OSINT).
- Trace Labs (@TraceLabs) / Twitter — NFP with the mission of #crowdsourcing OSINT to help find #missingpersons while training members in the tradecraft of #OSINT | Contact us at email@example.com
- Discord | #general | dc253
- Tacoma Fire Buff Battalion | Facebook — The Tacoma Fire Buff Battalion is an independent, all volunteer organization founded in 1986 to provide on-scene support to the Tacoma Fire Department.
- CURLING — PS Ice Sports would like to extend a warm thank you to the Granite Curling Club and Washington State Curling Association for all your support and knowledge and equipment.
- Tacoma Fire Buff Battalion — The Tacoma Fire Department has arrived. The Tacoma Fire Buffs are right behind them. We provide firefighters with cold water, sports drinks, coffee, and snacks. After they take care of you, we take care of them.
- Bathtub burglar: Man breaks into home, takes fully-clothed bath | KECI — A 27-year-old man was arrested Friday night after breaking into a Madrona home, filling up the bathtub and taking a bath with his clothes on.
- Arlington pastor arrested on drug trafficking charges | king5.com — Arlington pastor living 'double life' arrested for drug trafficking
- 'B****, I swear, b****, I’m gonna crack your phone:' Drive-by shooting suspect says to Tacoma woman — Tacoma Police are asking for your help to identify these suspects in a stolen Kia.